Remembered with honour Mont Huon Military Cemetery: Plot I, Row K, Grave 9.
He enlisted in Hertford, and was formerly Private 6070 Hertfordshire Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, John’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of James and Elizabeth (nee GARRETT) WREN of Ware, Herts.
His parents married 29 November 1874 at Holy Trinity, Wareside, Herts. James died 1917 in Ware aged 76 and was buried 6 March at St Mary’s, Ware; Elizabeth died 1923 in Ware aged 82 and was buried 1 November, also at St Mary’s.
John was born 1886 in Widford, Herts, and baptised 23 May 1886 at St John the Baptist, Widford. He resided in Ware.
On the 1891 Census, aged 5 he lived in Widford, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1901 Census, a shepherd on a farm aged 16, he lived in Hertford, with his parents and no siblings. On the 1911 Census, a horse keeper on a farm aged 25, he lived in Widford, with his parents and no siblings.
Date of death11/10/1916
Age at death31
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)