Remembered with honour Thiepval Memorial: Pier and Face 8C, 9A and 16A.
He enlisted in Watford, and was formerly Private 3978 4th Essex Regiment and Private 34118 Middlesex Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was presumed killed in action. Unfortunately, Dennis’ Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Harriet (nee HEALEY) MALEY; husband of Mabel Louisa (nee BARTLETT) MALEY.
Dennis HEALEY was born 1889 in Finchley, London, and married 1914 in the Watford district; they had two children. Mabel remarried 1919 in the Watford district to Edward/Edric GOODALL, she died 1946 in Watford aged 55, and was buried 14 August in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford.
His mother married Charles MALEY 1895 in the Watford district. Charles possibly died 1913 in the Headington, Oxon, district aged 45. Harriet remarried 1919 in the Clerkenwell, London, district to Charles O WHITEHEAD.
On the 1891 Census, aged 10 months he lodged in Watford, with his parents and no siblings [name recorded as MAILEY]. On the 1901 Census, aged 13 he lived in Teddington, Middx, with his mother, step-father and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, a china and glass rivitter aged 21, he lived in Watford, with his mother, step-father and four siblings.
Unit7th (Extra Reserve) Battalion
Date of deathon or since 07/02/1917
Age at death26
Place of death
NotesHis cousin Thomas HEALEY died 24 May 1917 and also features on this Roll of Honour. Dennis is probably the Denis MACLEY commemorated at St Mary's Parish Church, Watford.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)