Duke, M F
There is no trace of a May DUKE in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission’s dataset.
However, there is a Florence DUKE enrolled in the Women’s Royal Air Force 21 October 1918, no. 22022.
Daughter of Samuel James and Florence (nee RYDER) DUKE.
Her parents married 10 October 1896 at St Mary’s, Hornsey Rise, Middx. Samuel died 1942 in the Watford district aged 71; Florence died 1956 in Watford aged 80, and was buried 21 September at St James’, Bushey, Herts.
May Florence was born 8 September 1899 in Walthamstow, Essex, and baptised 12 October 1905 at St James’, Bushey. She attended Watford Girls’ Grammar School as a Fuller Scholar from 9 September 1912, died 2 September 1920 in Bushey aged 20, and was buried at St James’, Bushey.
On the 1901 Census, aged 1 she lived in Walthamstow, with her parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 11, she lived in Oxhey, Herts, with her parents and three siblings.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)