Doughty, C L
CYRIL LEONARD DOUGHTY
Remembered with honour H.A.C. Cemetery: Plot I, Row A, Grave 32.
He enlisted at Armoury House, London; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Cyril’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of William and Susan Catherine (nee LOWRIES) DOUGHTY of Watford.
His parents married 1890 at St Luke’s, Dudley, Staffs. Susan died 1938 in Hither Green, London, aged 73, and was buried 7 April in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; William died 1939 in Watford aged 76, and was buried 27 February, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Cyril was born 30 August 1892 in Leighton Buzzard, Beds, or Linslade, Bucks, and baptised 31 December 1892 at St Barnabas, Linslade. He attended first Callow Land Infants’ School, Watford; then Callowland Board School from 9 January 1899 to 11 October 1901, when he transferred to Alexandra School, Watford, from 21 October 1901 to 26 January 1903. He went back to Callowland Board School, then back to Alexandra from 11 January 1904 to 3 August 1906. He resided in Watford, and worked for the London & North Western Railway Company at the Goods Department, Camden, London.
On the 1901 Census, aged 8 he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, a railway clerk with the L.N.W.R. aged 18, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and four siblings.
Date of death01/04/1917
Age at death24
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)