Remembered with honour Aire Communal Cemetery: Plot II, Row J, Grave 1.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 12 August 1915, and died of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, Ernest’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a Death announcement for Ernest in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 25 May 1918; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 10 May 1919.
Son of John and Eliza (nee CARPENTER) SWEETING of Watford.
His parents married 26 April 1974 at St Mary’s, Watford. John died 20 May 1918 in Watford aged 72, and was buried 24 May in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Eliza died 1921 in Watford aged 67, and was buried 14 November, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery. There is a Death announcement for John in the Observer, also dated 25 May 1918.
Ernest was born 29 October 1892 in Watford, and baptised 11 January 1893 at St Mary’s, Watford. He attended first Victoria Infants’ School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 30 April 1900 to 26 March 1902. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 8 he lived in Watford, with his parents and eight siblings. On the 1911 Census, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and six siblings.
Date of death05/05/1918
Age at death25
Place of death
NotesHis brother Horace died 26 May 1918 and also features on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)