Element/Ellement/Elliment, J W
JAMES WILLIAM ELEMENT
Remembered with honour Monchy British Cemetery: Plot I, Row J, Grave 30.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, James’ Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a Death announcement for James in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 15 September 1917; plus In Memoriams in the issues dated 17 August 1918 and 23 August 1919.
Son of James William and Letitia (nee TURNER) ELEMENT of Watford.
His parents married 25 December 1895 at St Mary’s, Watford. James died 1952 in Watford aged 85, and was buried 29 July in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Letitia died 1965 in Watford aged 92, and was buried 5 August, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
James was born 17 April 1898 in Watford, and baptised by the midwife on the same day. He attended Victoria Junior School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 1 September 1908 to 17 April 1912. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 2 he lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 13, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and five siblings.
Date of death17/08/1917
Age at death19
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)