Dukes, H H
HORACE HAROLD DUKES
Remembered with honour Bethune Town Cemetery: Plot IV, Row C, Grave 9.
He enlisted in Bedford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 18 April 1915, and died at Bethune of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, Horace’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Job Charles and the late Mary Ann (nee GIBSON) DUKES of Watford.
His parents married 20 January 1879 at St Mary’s, Watford. Mary died 1904 in Watford aged 47, and was buried 10 May in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Job died 1937 in Watford aged 81, and was buried 14 December, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Horace was born 11 May 1895 in Watford, and baptised 12 July 1895 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey, Herts. He attended first Callow Land Infants’ School, Watford; then Callowland Board School from 3 February to 11 July 1902. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 5 he lived in Watford, with his parents and six siblings. On the 1911 Census, an errand boy aged 16, he still lived in Watford, with his widowed father and four siblings.
Date of death18/05/1915
Age at death20
Place of death
NotesHis brother Francis died 19 August 1917 and also features on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)