Norwood, W H
WALTER HENRY NORWOOD
Remembered with honour Boulogne Eastern Cemetery: Plot IX, Row B, Grave 26.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, Walter’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a brief article about and a Death announcement for Walter in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 11 May 1918.
Son of Henry and Mary (nee CRAWLEY) NORWOOD of Watford; husband of Violet (nee WOOD) NORWOOD of Watford.
His parents married 1880 in the Berkhamsted, Herts, district. Mary died 1934 in Watford aged 74, and was buried 3 May in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Henry died 6 October 1940 in Watford aged 82, and was buried 9 October, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Walter was born 1892 in Wigginton, Herts, and married 1914 in the Watford district. He resided in Watford. Violet remarried 1939 in the Watford district to Basil F L ARKWRIGHT or FROST, and died 1965 in the Watford district aged 76.
On the 1901 Census, aged 9 he lived in Watford, with his parents and seven siblings. On the 1911 Census, a chemist’s porter aged 19, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings.
Date of death02/05/1918
Age at death27
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)