Mason, J R
JOHN RICHARD MASON
Remembered with honour Alexandria (Hadra) War Memorial Cemetery: Row H, Grave 14.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died at the General Hospital, Alexandria, of wounds received in action at Gaza. Unfortunately, John’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about John in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 5 October 1918, plus another article and Death announcement in the issue dated 21 December 1918.
Son of John Joseph and Emily (nee LONG) MASON; husband of Lilian Florence (nee NEAL) MASON of Watford.
His parents married 2 July 1881 at St Mary’s, Lambeth, Surrey. Emily died 1925 in Watford aged 72, and was buried 24 November in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; John died 1932 in Watford aged 81, and was buried 6 January, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
John was born 1883 in Watford, and baptised 1 April 1883 at St Mary’s, Watford. He married 7 September 1911 at St Mary’s, Watford. Lilian never remarried; she died 6 May 1969 in Watford aged 89, and was buried 12 May in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
On the 1891 Census, a scholar aged 8 he lived in Watford, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1901 Census, a wine merchant’s clerk aged 18, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, a wine merchant’s clerk aged 28, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings.
Date of death06/12/1918
Age at death36
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)