Smith, G C R
GEORGE CHARLES ROBERT SMITH
Remembered with honour Cross Roads Cemetery: Plot II, Row H, Grave 23.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, George’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a brief article about and a Death announcement for George in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 7 December 1918.
Son of Charles and Annie Louisa (nee MAURER) SMITH of Brixton, London.
His parents married 14 October 1891 at St Barnabas’, South Lambeth, London. Annie died 1949 in the Camberwell, London, district aged 83, and was buried 3 March in Greenwich Cemetery, London.
George was born 1899 in Peckham, London, and baptised 8 October 1899 at St Jude’s, Brixton. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 1 he lived in Camberwell, with his parents and no siblings. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 11, he lived in Forest Hill, London, with his parents and no siblings.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)