Draper, S E
SIDNEY/SYDNEY EDWARD DRAPER
Remembered with honour Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial: Panel 54 and 56.
He enlisted in Hertford, and was formerly Private 2952 Hertfordshire Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 23 January 1915, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Sidney’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for Sidney in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 1 September 1917; plus an article in the St Michael’s Parish Magazine dated September 1917.
Son of Ellen (nee FORDHAM) DRAPER of Finsbury Park, London, and the late Edward Levi DRAPER.
His parents married 1893 in the Hertford district. Edward/Levi died 16 January 1913 in Berkhamsted, Herts, aged 46, and was buried 22 January in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Ellen died 1957 in the Watford district aged 90.
Sydney was born 8 October 1895 in Datchworth, Herts, and baptised 10 November 1895 at All Saints, Datchworth. He attended Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 24 April 1906 to 31 July 1908. He resided in Watford, and worked for the London & North Western Railway Company in the General Manager’s Office, Euston.
On the 1901 Census, aged 5 he lived in Sawbridgeworth, Herts, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, a railway clerk with the L.N.W.R. aged 15, he lived in Watford, with his parents and no siblings.
Date of death31/07*/1917
Age at death21
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)