Merrifield, H J
HARRY/HENRY JOHN MERRIFIELD
Remembered with honour Tyne Cot Memorial: Panel 145 to 147.
He enlisted in Whitehall, London; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Harry’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of George and the late Alice (nee REDRUP) MERRIFIELD.
His parents married 6 May 1888 at St Jude’s, Kensal Green, London. Alice died 1906 in the Southampton, Hants, district aged 39. George remarried 1928 in the Woolwich, London, district to Sarah J DRIVER, and died 1943 in the Rochford, Essex, district aged 77.
Harry was born 25 November 1898 in Chelsea, London. He attended Victoria Junior School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 1 September 1908 to 6 September 1909. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 3 he lived in Kensington, London, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 13, he lived in Watford, with his widowed father and eight siblings.
Date of death22*/12/1917
Age at death19
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)