Andrews, P L
PERCIVAL LIONEL ANDREWS
Remembered with honour Gaza War Cemetery: Plot XIX, Row G, Grave 12.
He enlisted 10 December 1915 in Watford: an engineer’s clerk aged 23, married, 5’6½” tall, C of E, of Bushey, Herts; next-of-kin his wife of Southfields, London SW.He embarked from Southampton 18 June 1917, travelled overland via Havre and Marsailles, and disembarked from Kinfauns Castle Alexandria 6 July 1917. He was appointed Acting Lance-Corporal 1 January 1918, was entitled to the Victory and British war medals, and died of dysentery at the 4th Stationary Hospital, Alexandria.
There is a Death announcement for Percival in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 23 November 1918.
Son of William George and Louisa Letitia (nee HUSSEY) ANDREWS of Bushey; husband of Annie (nee GOUGH) ANDREWS of Bushey.
His parents married 27 August 1891 at St Peter’s, Bushey. William died 10 November 1922 at the Middlesex Hospital aged 55; Louisa died 10 November 1949 in Bushey aged 81.
Percival was born 8 July 1892 in Bushey, and baptised 14 August 1892 at St Peter’s, Bushey. He attended Watford Grammar School from September 1905 to July 1909. He married 26 February 1916 at St Mary the Virgin, Great Ouseburn, Yorks, and resided in Southfields.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1901 Census, aged 8 he lived in Bushey, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, an engineer’s clerk aged 18, he still lived in Bushey, with his parents and one sibling.
Date of death09/11/1918
Age at death26
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)