Spiers, E A
ERNEST ALFRED SPIERS
Remembered with honour Highland Cemetery: Plot I, Row A, Grave 5.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 26 July 1915, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Ernest’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a brief article about Ernest in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 9 November 1918.
Son of James Richard and Eliza Jane (nee FOLLETT) SPIERS.
His parents married 18 November 1894 at All Saints, Walworth, Surrey. James died 1946 in Watford aged 70, and was buried 13 March in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Eliza died 1950 in Watford aged 76, and was buried 10 August, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Ernest was born 1896 in Walworth, and resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 4 he lived in Camberwell, London, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, a milkman aged 14, he lived in Watford, with his parents and six siblings.
Unit"B" Company, 2nd* Battalion
Date of death23*/10/1918
Age at death22
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)