Dodwell, A H
ALEC HARRY DODWELL
Remembered with honour Cambrin Military Cemetery: Row B, Grave 8.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914 Star medals, his qualifying date being 6 November 1914, and was killed in action at Cambrai. The Battalion relieved the 1st King’s Royal Rifle Corps on 8 September 1915; casualties during the four days included Harry [sic]. Unfortunately, Alec’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about Alec in the Watford Illustrated dated 18 September 1915; and a Death announcement in the West Herts and Watford Observer also dated 18 September 1915.
Son of Harry and the late Lillie (nee COOK) DODWELL of Watford.
His parents married 1892 in the Watford district. Lillie died 1907 in Watford aged 41, and was buried 12 September in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford. Harry remarried 1909 in the Watford district to Lizzie COOK; he died 28 December 1925 in Watford aged 57, and was buried 31 December in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Lizzie died 28 May 1950 in St Alban’s, Herts, aged 81.
Alec was born 26 April 1896 in Watford. He attended Victoria Junior School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 11 January to 12 February 1904, and again from 18 March 1907 to 30 July 1908. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 4 he lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, a scholar aged 14, he still lived in Watford, with his father, step-mother and four siblings.
Unit"D" Company, 1st Battalion
Date of death11/09/1915
Age at death19
Place of death
NotesExtracts from a letter Alec sent to his family can be found in The Book of Watford (reprinted soft cover 1992) p132
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)