Remembered with honour Watford (Vicarage Road Cemetery): Plot A, Row 4, Grave 249.
He attested 11 November 1914 at Toronto, Ontario, in the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Force: a motor engineer aged 23, 5’6″ tall, C of E; his next of kin was his father of Watford. He died at No. 12 Canadian General Hospital, Bramshott, Hants, of pneumonia.
There are articles about Ralph in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 10 June 1916, 17 November 1917, and 20 July 1918, the latter issue includes a Death announcement; plus In Memoriams in the issue dated 12 July 1919.
Son of James and Annie Maria (nee COOTE) EDENS of Watford; husband of Jean Neasham (nee HOTCHKISS) EDENS.
His parents married 20 September 1887 at St Mary’s, Willesden, London. James died 10 October 1933 in Watford aged 73, and was buried 13 October in Vicarage Road Cemetery; Annie died 15 September 1942 in Watford aged 80, and was buried 18 September, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Ralph was born 14 August 1891 in Willesden. He emigrated to Canada 2 April 1914 aboard Cunard Line Ascania Southampton to Halifax: a motor engineer aged 22 of Watford, going to Moonfield, Ontario. He married 26 December 1917 at Christ Church, Watford; he was buried 12 July. Jean never remarried, and died 9 March 1977 in Whitley Bay, Northumberland, aged 87.
On the 1901 Census, aged 8 he lived in Willesden, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, a cycle repairer aged 19, he lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings.
Unit19th Battalion, 1st Central Ontario Regiment
Date of death07/07/1918
Age at death25
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)