Hart, S W
STUART/STEWART WILLIAM HART
Remembered with honour Arras Memorial: Bay 10.
He enlisted in Camberwell, Surrey, and was formerly Lance-Corporal 3106 21st London Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 16 March 1915, and was presumed dead/killed in action. Unfortunately, Stuart’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There are articles about Stuart in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 10 June 1916 and 24 June 1916.
Son of Harry William HART of Brighton, Sussex, and the late Clara (nee NOBLE) HART.
His parents married 14 January 1886 at St Michael’s, Strand, London. Clara of Stone, Kent, died 16 September 1902 aged 47 and was buried 20 September at Holy Trinity, Dartford, Kent. Harry remarried 24 March 1906 at St Luke’s, Chelsea, London, to Annie BROWN. Harry died 1931 aged 79; Annie died 1953 aged 83; both in the Brighton district.
Stuart was born 3 March 1890 in Watford, and baptised 16 April 1890 at St Andrew’s, Watford. He attended Watford Grammar School from April 1900 to December 1905, and resided in Brighton.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1891 Census, aged 1 he lived in Watford, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1901 Census, aged 11 he still lived in Watford, with his father and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, a shipping clerk aged 21 he still lived in Watford, with his father, step-mother and no siblings.
Unit21st (County of London) Battalion (First Surrey Rifles)
Date of deathon or since 23/05/1916
Age at death22
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)