Remembered with honour Maroeuil British Cemetery: Plot IV, Row J, Grave 9.
He enlisted in Northwood, Middx; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Charles’ Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Edward TOBUTT of Northwood, and Charlotte (nee MASSEY) TOBUTT; husband of Daisy Maria (nee MORTLOCK) TOBUTT of Tottenham, London.
His parents married 19 May 1883 at St Martin’s, Ruislip, Middx. Charlotte died 1935 aged 70; Edward died 1941 aged 77; both in the Uxbridge district.
Charles was born 22 March 1893 in Pinner, Middx. and baptised 30 July 1893 at St John the Baptist, Pinner. He was appointed Postman (L) Watford April 1915, and married 25 November 1917 at Emmanual Church, Northwood. Daisy remarried 1924 in the Newmarket, Cambs, district to James E PALMER.
On the 1901 Census, aged 8 he lived in Pinner, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1911 Census, an auxiliary postman aged 18, he lived in Northwood, with his parents and five siblings.
Date of death28/03/1918
Age at death25
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)