Chipperfield, S J
SIDNEY JAMES CHIPPERFIELD
Remembered with honour Watford (Vicarage Road) Cemetery: Plot K, Row 8, Grave 537.
He joined 5 June 1915 in SYdney, N.S.W.: a waiter aged 30* or a chauffeur aged 28*, 5’7¾” tall, Roman Catholic; his next-of-kin his wife. He embarked 17 July 1915 from Melbourne, Victoria, on H.M.A.T. Orsova, and was wounded 4 November 1917. He was first admitted to No. 3 Canadian Casualty Clearing Station 6 November 1917, and transferred to England aboard H.S. Pieter de Conick 27 November 1917. He died at the 1st Eastern General Hospital, Cambridge, of meningitis following a gun shot wound to the head received in action, aged 28*, and was buried 28 December.
There is an In Memoriam for Sidney in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 28 December 1918.
Son of Anne (nee DORRELL) and the late George Thomas CHIPPERFIELD; husband of Kathleen (nee CONNELLY) CHIPPERFIELD of Donnybrook, Co. Dublin.
His parents married 1877 in the Watford district. George died 3 March 1911 in Battersea, London, aged 53; Anne died 21 February 1935 in Watford aged 83.
Sidney was born 26 September 1884 in Rathgar, Dublin, and sailed from London to Melbourne 10 November 1911 on the Orient Line Orama: a butler travelling 3rd class. He married 1915 in Mosman, Sydney
On the 1891 Census, he is proving elusive – perhaps still in Ireland. On the 1901 Census, an apprentice ironmonger aged 18, he lived in Clapham Common, London, with his parents and no siblings. On the 1911 Census, a butler aged 28*, he lived in Paddington, London.
Unit36th Heavy Artillery Group
Date of death24/12/1917
Age at death29*
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)