Horton, W H
WILLIAM HARRY/HENRY HORTON
Remembered with honour Etaples Military Cemetery: Plot XIX, Row A, Grave 8.
He attested 22 September 1914 at Valcartier, Canada: a barber aged 23, unmarried, 5’10” tall, Baptist; his next-of-kin his father of Watford. He died of pneumonia phthisis at No. 7 General Hospital, Etaples.
There is a Death announcement for William in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 21 April 1917; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 13 April 1918.
Son of Frederick William and the late Elizabeth (nee HIBBERT) HORTON of Watford.
His parents married 13 May 1882 at St Alban’s Abbey, Herts. Elizabeth died 1907 in Watford aged 47, and was buried 5 October in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Frederick died 1940 in Harpenden, Herts, aged 80, and was buried 20 February, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
William was born 3 May 1891 in Watford. He attended first Sotheron Road Infants’ School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 3 January 1898 to 26 March 1902. He possibly sailed from Glasgow to Quebec 21 May 1910 on the Allen Line Ionian, a salesman aged 19.
On the 1901 Census, aged 9 he lived in Watford, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1911 Canadian Census, a labourer aged 20 he lived in Regina, Saskatchewan.
Unit10th Battalion, Alberta Regiment
Date of death16/04/1917
Age at death25
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)