Flitt, S V
SYDNEY/SIDNEY VICTOR FLITT
Remembered with honour Puchevillers British Cemetery: Plot III, Row C, Grave 21.
He enlisted in London; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 18 July 1915, and died at 44th Casualty Clearing Station of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, Sydney’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a Death announcement for Sydney in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 18 November 1916, plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 10 November 1917.
Son of Walter and Alice M (nee WEBB) FLITT of Bushey, Herts.
His parent’s marriage is proving elusive. Alice died 1918 in Bushey aged 54, and was buried 6 January 1919 at St James’, Bushey; Walter died 1947 in Bushey aged 90, and was buried 4 February, also at St James.
Sidney was born 21 September 1895 in Bushey, and baptised 18 October 1895 at St James’, Bushey.
On the 1901 Census, aged 6 he lived in Bushey, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, a caddie boy aged 15, he still lived in Bushey, with his parents and three siblings.
Unit"B" Battery, 87th Brigade
Date of death05*/11/1916
Age at death21
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)