Lake, H F
HORACE FRANK LAKE
Remembered with honour Berles-au-Bois Churchyard Extension: Row L, Grave 4.
He enlisted February 1916 in Bedford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed or died of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, Horace’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of George and Elizabeth (nee COLLIER) LAKE.
His parents married 1886 in Wigginton, Herts. George died 1936 in the Edmonton, Middx, district aged 69; Elizabeth died 1946 in the St Alban’s, Herts, district aged 81.
Horace was born 27 December 1891 in Wigginton, and attended Callowland Board School, Watford, from 30 May 1899 to 23 December 1905. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 8 he lived in Watford, with his parents and six siblings. On the 1911 Census, a milk carrier aged 18, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings.
Date of death24/11/1916
Age at death24
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)