Remembered with honour Boulogne Eastern Cemetety: Plot VIII, Row C, Grave 105.
He enlisted in Stanmore, Middx; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 27 July 1915, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Charles’ Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Charles Thomas TOLMAN of Great Stanmore, and Lizzie (nee BROWN) TOLMAN.
His parents married 1882 in the Hendon, Middx, district. Charles died 1935 in the Hendon district aged 88; Lizzie died 28 January 1926 in Talgarth, Brecs, aged 71.
Charles was born 1893 in Stanmore, and resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 8 he lived in Great Stanmore, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1911 Census, an assistant in a woollen warehouse aged 18 he still lived in Great Stanmore, with his mother and four siblings.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)