Dean, J M
JAMES MEECH DEAN
Remembered with honour Duisans British Cemetery: Plot IV, Row O, Grave 44.
He enlisted in Watford, and was formerly Private G/28025 Middlesex Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, James’ Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for James in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 28 July 1917; plus In Memoriams in the issues dated 6 July 1918 and 19 July 1919.
Son of Frederick George and Annie Amelia (formerly HALL, nee MEECH) DEAN of Watford.
His parents married 1 June 1895 at St Mary’s, Watford. Annie died 1929 in Watford aged 74, and was buried 27 February in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Frederick died 1929 in Watford aged 80, and was buried 9 May, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
James was born 1897 in Watford, and baptised 9 January 1898 at St John the Evangelist, Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 5 he lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1911 Census, an errand boy aged 14 he still lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings.
Date of death15*/07/1917
Age at death19
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)