Hawkins, G W
GEORGE WILLIAM HAWKINS
Remembered with honour Watford (Vicarage Road) Cemetery: Plot D, Row 2, Grave 708.
He enlisted at Sun Street, London; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 18 March 1915, and died in Watford of pneumonia. Unfortunately, George’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a Death announcement for George in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 10 February 1917.
Son of Charles Alexander and the late Lydia Isabel (nee CRADDOCK) HAWKINS.
His parents married 4 August 1875 at St Paul’s, Chatham, Kent. Lydia died 1903 in the Holborn, London, district aged 48, and was buried 21 May in Manor Park Cemetery, Forest Gate, Essex.
George was born 1889 in St Luke’s, London, and baptised 10 April 1890 at St Paul’s, Clerkenwell, London. He resided in Islington, London, and was buried 17 January.
On the 1891 Census, aged 2 he lived in St Luke’s, with his parents and six siblings. On the 1901 Census, aged 12 he still lived in St Luke’s, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, a collar cutter aged 22, he was a boarder in Islington.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)