Gurney, F H
FRANK HOLLIES/HOLLIER GURNEY
Remembered with honour St Venant-Robecq Road British Cemetery: Plot IV, Row A, Grave 4.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Frank’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for Frank in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 10 August 1918; and a brief article and another Death announcement in the issue dated 17 August 1918; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 12 July 1919.
Son of Charles and Kate Elizabeth (nee HOLLIER) GURNEY of Watford.
His parents married 20 December 1890 at St Mary’s, Watford. Charles died 1929 in Watford aged 66, and was buried 11 October in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Kate died 1948 in Watford aged 81, and was buried 5 June, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Frank was born 29 July 1895 in Watford, and baptised 11 September 1895 at St Mary’s, Watford. He attended Victoria Junior School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 11 January 1904 to 22 September 1909.
On the 1901 Census, aged 5 he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, an errand boy aged 15, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and five siblings.
Date of death05/07/1918
Age at death21
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)