Kilby, C C
CYRIL CHARLES KILBY
Remembered with honour Hangard Communal Cemetery Extension: Plot I, Row F, Grave 7.
He enlisted in London, and was posted to the 12th (County of London) Battalion London Regiment (Rangers). He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Cyril’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for Cyril in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 11 May 1918.
Son of John and Kate Mary (nee EDWARDS) KILBY.
His parents married 28 August 1894 at St Mary’s, Watford. John died 4 December 1936 in Garston, Herts, aged 68, and was buried 8 December in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Kate died 26 April 1942 in Garston aged 73, and was buried 30 April, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
There is an article in Watford in the 20th Century volume 1 – Movers and Shakers: Sport about John.
Cyril was born 1897 in Watford, and baptised 21 March 1897 at St Mary’s, Watford. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 4 he lived in Watford, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 14, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings.
Unit15th (County of London) Battalion (Prince of Wales' Own Civil Service Rifles)
Date of death24*/04/1918
Age at death21
Place of death
NotesHis brother John died 2 August 1916 and also features on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)