Collyer/Collier, L W
LEWIS WELLINGTON COLLYER
Remembered with honour Pozieres Memorial: Panel 86 and 87.
He enlisted in London; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Lewis’ Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a brief article about and a Death announcement for Lewis in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 27 April 1918; plus another article in the issue dated 4 May 1918, and an In Memoriam in the issue dated 12 April 1919.
Son of Joseph Jesse and Caroline (nee BURCH) COLLYER of Watford; husband of Ethel (nee FLETCHER) COLLYER.
His parents married 5 July 1879 at St John the Baptist, Aldbury, Herts. Joseph died 1938 in Watford aged 77, and was buried 16 April in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Caroline died 1946 in Watford aged 86, and was buried 17 April, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Lewis was born 1 September 1888 in Aldbury, and baptised 3 November 1889 at St John the Baptist, Aldbury. He attended Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 21 March 1895 to 25 January 1901. He married 1910 in the Watford district; they had one child. He resided in Watford.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1891 Census, aged 2 he lived in Aldbury, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1901 Census, an errand boy aged 12, he lived in Watford, with his parents and seven siblings. On the 1911 Census, a gas company collector aged 22, he lived in Bushey, Herts, with his wife and one child.
Unit1st/6th (City of London) Battalion (City of London Rifles)
Date of death25*/03/1918
Age at death29
Place of death
NotesRecorded in the Soldiers Died in the Great War transcript as COLLVER
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)