Harding, H J
HAROLD JOHN HARDING
Remembered with honour Aubigny Communal Cemetery Extension: Plot I, Row E, Grave 32.
He enlisted in Westminster; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, Harold’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for Harold in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 30 September 1916.
Son of John and Kate Elizabeth (nee DANCER) HARDING of Watford.
His parents married 1892 in the Wycombe, Bucks, district. John died 1947 in Watford aged 79, and was buried 4 November in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Kate died 1958 in Teddington, Middx, aged 91, and was buried 6 January, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Harold was born 30 May 1895 in Watford, and attended Victoria Junior School, Watford; then Beechen Grove School, Watford, from 11 January 1904 to 23 January 1907. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 5 he lived in Watford, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, an iron foundry clerk aged 15, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and one sibling.
Unit2nd/16th (County of London) Battalion (Queen's Westminster Rifles)
Date of death20/09/1916
Age at death21
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)