Remembered with honour Tyne Cot Memorial: Panel 113 to 115.
He enlisted in Mill Hill, Middx, 19 June 1915 for Short Service (Duration of the War): a labourer aged 25, 5’6½” tall, unmarried, of Watford; next-of-kin his mother. He embarked from Folkestone 23 September 1915, was appointed Lance-Corporal 16 September 1916; promoted Corporal 4 November 1916, and appointed Sergeant 1917. He was awarded the Military Medal for bravery in the field, was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 23 September 1915, and was killed in action.
There is a brief article about and a Death announcement for Bertie in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 10 November 1917.
Son of Elizabeth (nee FORD) RYDER of Watford, and the late Mark RYDER.
His parents married 24 October 1885 at Christ Church, Chorleywood, Herts. Mark died 1901 in Watford aged 40, and was buried 3 May at Christ Church, Chorleywood; Elizabeth died 1929 in Watford aged 66, and was buried 13 April, also at Christ Church.
Bertie was born 30 August 1889 in Chorleywood, and baptised 10 November 1889 at Christ Church, Chorleywood. He attended Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 15 June 1896 to 3 October 1900, and resided in Watford.
On the 1891 Census, aged 1 he lived in Chorleywood, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1901 Census, aged 11 he lived in Watford, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, a general labourer at ice manufacturer aged 21, he still lived in Watford, with his widowed mother and four siblings.
Unit12th (Service) Battalion
Date of death17/10/1917
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)