Wilson, E R
ERNEST ROBERT WILSON
Remembered with honour Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial: Panel 54 and 56.
He attested in the Territorial Force Hertfordshire Regiment at Hertford 2 December 1914, for four years: aged 18, C of E, as Private 4180. On 29 January 1915 he enlisted For the Duration. He embarked from Folkstone 25 December 1916 arriving Calais the same day. (Whilst serving he committed many misdemeanours). He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 10 July 1915, and was killed in action.
Son of Mary Ann RANDALL (formerly WILSON, nee FOWLER) of Watford, and the late Ernest Robert WILSON.
His parents married 6 August 1892 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey, Herts. Ernest died 1913 in Watford aged 42, and was buried 18 March in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford. Mary remarried 1918 in the Watford district to George RANDALL, she died in Watford aged 54, and was buried 10 October, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Ernest was born 8 January 1898 in Bushey, Herts, and baptised 2 March 1898 at St Mary’s, Watford. He attended Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 31 August to 7 October 1910, and resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 3 he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, aged 14 he still lived in Watford, with his mother and seven siblings.
Date of deathon or since 31/07/1917
Age at death19
Place of death
NotesRecorded on the St James' Memorial as 10th Battalion which did not exist
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)