Bulling, W H
WALTER HENRY BULLING
Remembered with honour Thiepval Memorial: Pier and Face 9D and 16B.
He enlisted in Oxford Street, London, and was formerly 5358 9th London Regiment, Private 189 “A” Cycle Corps, and 7006 4th London Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was presumed killed in action. Unfortunately, Walter’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Walter Henry and Emily Jane (nee PAGET) BULLING of Watford; husband* of Emily Jane BULLING. [*As no trace of a marriage between Walter jnr and an Emily Jane can be found, and as his mother is Emily Jane, is this perhaps an error on the part of the Commonwealth War Graves’ Commission?]
His parents married 21 March 1889 at Emmanuel Church, Forest Gate, Essex. Walter died 26 July 1938 in Watford aged 72, and was buried 29 July in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Emily died 1955 in Watford aged 91, and was buried 30 December in North Watford Cemetery.
Walter was born 2 April 1892 in either Caledonian Road, London, or Forest Gate, Essex, and baptised 1 May 1892 at All Saints, Battle Bridge, St Pancras, London. He attended first Callow Land Infants’ School, Watford; then Callowland Board School from 9 January 1899 to 22 January 1903. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 8 he lived in Watford, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, a Victoria Works clerk aged 18, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and five siblings.
Unit1st/4th (City of London) Battalion (Royal Fusiliers)
Date of deathon or since 09/09/1916
Age at death24
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)