Fitt, E G
ERNEST GEORGE FITT
Remembered with honour Dartmoor Cemetery: Plot I, Row B, Grave 17.
He enlisted in Hertford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 26 July 1915, and was killed in action during manoeuvres at Morlancourt. Unfortunately, Ernest’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Joseph and Ann (nee PRING) FITT of Welwyn, Herts.
His parents married 26 December 1883 in Awliscombe, Devon. Joseph died 1939 in Ayot St Peter, Herts, aged 81, and was buried there 8 February; Ann died 16 April 1939 in Ayot St Peter aged 81, and was also buried there.
Ernest was born 2 February 1891 in Hertingfordbury, Herts, and baptised 2 August 1891 at St Mary’s, Hertingfordbury. He possibly attended Luppitt National School, Devon, from 3 March 1901 to 5 February 1904, and resided in Welwyn.
On the 1891 Census, aged 3 months he lived in Hertingfordbury, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1901 Census, aged 10 he lived in Reigate, Surrey, with his parents and seven siblings. On the 1911 Census, a gardener aged 21, he lived in Welwyn.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)