Griffiths, W A
WILFRED ALLEN GRIFFITHS
Remembered with honour Thiepval Memorial: Pier and Face 9A 9B and 10B.
He enlisted in Birmingham, and was formerly Private 4104 Royal Warwickshire Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was presumed killed in action. Unfortunately, Wilfred’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Ada GEARY (nee GRIFFITHS).
Wilfred was born 29 June 1895 in Ludlow, Shrops, and baptised 12 July 1895 at Ludford, Heref. He attended Tenbury Infants’ School, Worc, from 18 March 1901 to 30 May 1902; and resided in Handsworth, Staffs.
His mother married John GEARY 1914 in the Watford district, she died 1949 in Watford aged 84, and was buried 12 May in North Watford Cemetery.
On the 1901 Census, aged 5 he lived in Tenbury, the grandson and in the household of William and Lucy GRIFFITHS. On the 1911 Census, a carman aged 15, he still lived in Tenbury, the nephew-in-law and in the household of Joseph and Minnie LANKS.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)