Rumsey, A E
ARTHUR EDWIN RUMSEY
Remembered with honour Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial: Panel 7-17-23-25-27-29-31.
He originally joined the Royal Navy 25 September 1904 for 12 years: aged 18, 5’5″ tall; leaving 7 April 1910 as Able Seaman. He attested 12 February 1916 at Cootamundra, New South Wales: a labourer aged 31, 5’9″ tall, C of E,; next-of-kin his brother of Watford. He embarked from Sydney 24 August 1916 aboard A68 Anchises arriving Devonport 11 October 1916. He embarked from Folkestone 4 December 1916 aboard Princess Victoria, arriving Etaples the same day. He was promoted to Lance-Corporal 3 January 1917, and was entitled to the British War and Victory medals. He went missing in action during an advance at Messines 7 June 1917; a Court of Enquiry held 21 March 1918 concluded he was killed in action on that date.
Son of the late Henry Agar and Eleanor Susan (nee LAPWOOD) RUMSEY.
His parents married 20 June 1880 at St Nicholas, Witham, Essex. Eleanor died 1896 in the Braintree, Essex, district aged 45; Henry died 1907 in Watford aged 51, and was buried 29 August in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford..
Arthur was born 25 September 1886 in Colchester, Essex or West Mercia, Essex, and sailed 14 June 1914 aboard the White Star Line Runic Liverpool to Sydney, a pattern maker aged 27.
On the 1891 Census, aged 4 he lived in West Mercia, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1901 Census, a tailor’s shop errand boy aged 14, he was a boarder in Chelmsford, Essex. On the 1911 Census, an Able Seaman aged 24, he was a boarder in Tottenham, London.
Date of death07/06/1917
Age at death30
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)