Riddle, G J
GALFRID JULIAN RIDDLE
Remembered with honour Poelcapelle British Cemetery: Plot XI, Row D, Grave 5.
He attested 23 March 1916 at St Catherine’s, Ontario: an insurance agent aged 23, 5’11” tall, C of E, of Grunsby, Ontario; next-of-kin his mother of Watford. He was previously reported missing, now killed in action. Information is available that he was killed by a machine bullet whilst taking part in the attack on Passchendaele Ridge.
Son of the Rev Albert J and Mary RIDDLE of Watford.
His parent’s marriage is proving elusive. Albert died 1931 in the St Martin’s, London, district aged 67; Mary died 22 January 1953 in Watford aged 85, and was buried 24 January in North Watford Cemetery.
Galfrid was born 22 August 1892 in either Cronstadt, Russia, or Baltimore, U.S.A., and educated at Colet Court and St Paul’s, School, London.
On the 1901 Census, he is proving elusive. On the 1911 Census, a merchant’s clerk aged 18, he lived in St Leonards-on-Sea, Sussex.
Unit"C" Company, 3rd Battalion, 1st Central Ontario Regiment
Date of death06/11/1917
Age at death25
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)