Mortlock, R V
ROBERT VERNON MORTLOCK
Remembered with honour Harrow Weald (All Saints) Churchyard Extension: East of the main path.
He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died at 3rd Western General Hospital, Newport, Monmouths, of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, Robert’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Robert S and the late Elizabeth Jane (nee BUGDEN) MORTLOCK; husband of Maud Amelia (nee CALLARD) MORTLOCK of Wealdstone, Middx.
His parents married 1872 in the Islington, London, district. Elizabeth died 1915 in the Watford district aged 71; Robert died 29 October 1921 in Bushey, Herts, aged 80.
Robert was born 1880 in Pinner, Middx, and baptised 3 December 1882 at All Saints, Harrow Weald. He married 2 September 1911 at Holy Trinity, Wealdstone; they had one child. Maud never remarried, and died 5 December 1968 in Pavenham, Beds, aged 82.
On the 1881 Census, aged 11 months he lived in Hatch End, Middx, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1891 Census, a scholar aged 10 he still lived in Hatch End, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1901 Census, a machine minder at printing works aged 20, he still lived in Hatch End, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, a printer machine minder aged 30, he lived in Bushey, with his parents and two siblings.
Unit7th (Extra Reserve) Battalion
Date of death04/11/1918
Age at death36
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)