Cheney, T G
THOMAS GEORGE CHENEY
Remembered with honour Albert Communal Cemetery Extension: Plot I, Row O, Grave 17.
He attested 22 December 1914 in Winnipeg, Manitoba: a poulterer aged 22, unmarried, 5’10” tall, C of E; his next-of-kin was his father of Watford. He died at No. 3 Canadian Field Ambulance of wounds received in action.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for Thomas in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 14 October 1916; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 29 September 1917.
Son of Thomas and Sarah Kate (nee POCOCK) CHENEY of Watford.
His parents married 15 September 1887 at St Mary’s, Northchurch, Herts. Thomas died 1923 in Watford aged 58, and was buried 7 July in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Sarah died 1944 in the Hemel Hempstead, Herts, district aged 79.
Thomas was born 12 January 1894 in Watford. He attended first Sotheron Road Infants’ School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 14 January 1901 to 7 January 1908.
On the 1901 Census, aged 7 he lived in Watford, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1911 Census, a shop assistant aged 17, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and four siblings.
Unit8th Battalion, Manitoba Regiment
Date of death26/09/1916
Age at death22
Place of death
NotesHis brother William died 18 September 1918 and also features on this Roll of Honour
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)