Goadby, J C
JOHN CLIFTON GOADBY
Remembered with honour H.A.C. Cemetery: Sp Mem, Row B, Grave 11.
He attested 5 June 1916 in Kensington, London, for Short Service (Duration of the War with the Colours and in the Army Reserve): a dentist’s apprentice aged 18, 6′ tall; Private 5418/492363 13th (County of London) Battalion London Regiment (Kensington Rifles), having previously served four years in the West Buckland, Devon, O.T.C. He was discharged to a commission in the 13th Battalion London Regiment 28 February 1917, gazetted 10 March 1917. He had been recommended for the Military Medal; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action. His father applied for the medals.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for John in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 7 September 1918.
Son of Joseph Stubbins and Mary (nee MONK) GOADBY.
His parents married 1892 in the Henley, Oxon, district. Joseph died 16 February 1931 in Reading, Berks, aged 71, and was buried 19 February at St Paul’s, Wokingham, Berks; Mary died 24 January 1954 in Padworth, Berks, aged 91, and was buried 27 January, also at St Paul’s, Wokingham.
John was born 5 January 1898 in Hornsey, Middx. He attended Watford Grammar School from March 1906 to April 1911; then West Buckland School for four and a half years.
On the 1901 Census, aged 3 he lived in Watford, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, aged 13 he still lived in Watford, with his parents and one sibling.
Unit13th (County of London) Battalion (Kensington Rifles)
Date of death28/08/1918
Age at death20
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)