Lancaster, A H
ARTHUR HENRY LANCASTER
Remembered with honour Ramleh War Cemetery: Row C, Grave 10.
He enlisted in Leighton Buzzard, Beds, and was formerly Private 5182 Bedfordshire Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action when the Battalion repulsed a Turkish attack on Zeify Hill near Gaza. Unfortunately, Arthur’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Harry and Florence (nee FOUNTAINE) LANCASTER of Watford.
His parents married 11 October 1897 at All Saints, Leighton Buzzard. Harry died 1964 aged 84; Florence died 1974 aged 94; both in the Watford district.
Arthur was born 13 May 1898 in Cheddington, Bucks. He attended first Beaudesert Infants’ School, Leighton Buzzard; then Leighton Buzzard British School from 21 September 1905. He resided in Leighton Buzzard.
On the 1901 Census, aged 3 he lived in Leighton Buzzard, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 15, he still lived in Leighton Buzzard, with his parents and five siblings.
Date of death29/11/1917
Age at death20
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)