Greenwood, H T or T H
HENRY THOMAS or THOMAS HENRY GREENWOOD
Remembered with honour Tyne Cot Memorial: Panel 86 to 88.
He enlisted in Watford; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and was killed in action near Ypres. Unfortunately, Henry’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for Henry in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 3 November 1917; plus In Memoriams in the issues dated 28 September 1918 and 27 September 1919.
Son of Henry Thomas and Annie Elizabeth (nee BUNCE) GREENWOOD of Watford.
His parents married 1898 in the Watford district. Henry died 1940 in Shoreham-on-Sea, Sussex, aged 62, and was buried 20 July in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Annie died 1949 in Watford aged 68; and was buried 6 January, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Henry was born 1898 in Watford, and baptised 16 March 1900 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey, Herts. He attended Watford Grammar School from September 1911 to July 1912.
On the 1901 Census, aged 2 he lived in Watford, with his parents and no siblings. On the 1911 Census, a newsboy aged 12, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and two siblings.
Date of death26/09/1917
Age at death19
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)