Smith, G B
GEORGE BOREHAM SMITH
Remembered with honour Wancourt British Cemetery: Plot I, Row A, Grave 24.
He enlisted in London 13 January 1915 for the Duration of the War: aged 18, C of E, his next-of-kin his mother of Bushey, Herts. He joined on enlistment the 9th (County of London) Battalion London Regiment (Queen Victoria’s Rifles) Rifleman 3972. He served at Home 13 January to 28 June 1915, when he embarked from Southampton for France. Served with the B.E.F. 29 June to 25 December 1915, when he was sent to England having been admitted to No. 15 Field Ambulance 19 December and then No. 1 Casualty Clearing Station 20 December. He served at Home until 16 December 1916 when he embarked again for France arriving Havre 18 December. He was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 30 June 1915, and was killed in action.
There is brief article about and a Death announcement for George in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 7 July 1917; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 21 June 1919.
Son of Martha SMITH of Watford, and the late Thomas Bryant SMITH.
His parents married 1894 in the Chertsey, Surrey, district. Thomas died 2 November 1913 in Watford aged 78, and was buried 5 November in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford.
George was born 30 April 1896 in Bushey, Herts; he attended Watford Grammar School from March to December 1908, and resided in Bushey.
He has an entry in the National Probate Calendar.
On the 1901 Census, aged 4 he lived in Bushey, with his parents and one sibling. On the 1911 Census, a surveyor’s clerk aged 14, he lived in Guildford, Surrey, with his parents and no siblings.
Unit1st/12th (County of London) Battalion (The Rangers)
Date of death24/06/1917
Age at death21
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)