Sears/Sear, W G
WILLIAM GEORGE SEARS
Remembered with honour Chichester Cemetery: Row 121, Grave 54.
He enlisted in Hertford, and was formerly Private 5902 Hertfordshire Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died at the General War Hospital, Chichester, of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, William’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Arthur and Jane (nee PRESTON) SEARS.
His parents married 28 May 1888 at St Mary’s, Redbourn, Herts. Jane died 1943 in Watford aged 75, and was buried 21 January in Vicarage Road Cemetery; Arthur died 16 October 1944 in Watford aged 75, and was buried 20 October, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Arthur was born 11 June 1896 in Watford, and baptised 19 August 1896 at St Mary’s, Watford. He attended Victoria Junior School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 10 January to 12 May 1905 and again from 9 January 1906 to 7 June 1910.
On the 1901 Census, aged 4 he lived in Watford, with his parents and five siblings. On the 1911 Census, an errand boy at laundry aged 14, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and four siblings.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)