Russell, A W
ARTHUR WILLIAM RUSSELL
Remembered with honour Peronne Communal Cemetery Extension: Plot III, Row I, Grave 25.
He enlisted in Hertford; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 18 November 1915, and died of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, Arthur’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for Arthur in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 21 September 1918.
Son of Alfred and Ellen (nee LUDBROOK) RUSSELL of Watford.
His parents married 1 December 1881 at Christ Church, Shooter’s Hill, London. Ellen died 1948 in Watford aged 91, and was buried 19 May in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Alfred died 1954 in Watford aged 93, and was buried 30 August, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Arthur was born in Watford or Bushey, Herts, and attended Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 5 February 1906 to 26 February 1912.
On the 1901 Census, aged 4 he lived in Bushey, with his parents and six siblings. On the 1911 Census, at school aged 13, he lived in Watford, with his mother and four siblings.
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)