Gregory, H C
HARRY CHARLES GREGORY
Remembered with honour Godewaersvelde British Cemetery: Plot I, Row B, Grave 38.
He enlisted in Hertford, and was formerly Private 3188 Hertfordshire Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, Harry’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is an In Memoriam to Harry in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 21 September 1918.
Son of Eliza Ellen (nee BALDWIN) GREGORY of Watford, and the late Frederick Kent or Frederick George GREGORY.
His parents married 25 December 1889 at St Mary’s, Watford. Frederick died 1905 in Watford aged 36, and was buried 6 January in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Eliza died 1939 in Watford aged 70, and was buried 30 October, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Harry was born 10 January 1897 in Watford, and baptised 15 July 1898 at St John the Evangelist, Watford. He attended Alexandra School, Watford, from 10 January to 3 August 1905, and resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 3 he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, an outfitter’s errand boy aged 14, he still lived in Watford, with his widowed mother and four siblings.
Date of death16/09/1917
Age at death20
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)