Harris, E C
EUSTACE CECIL HARRIS
Remembered with honour Tyne Cot Memorial: Panel 2 to 3 and 162 to 162A.
He enlisted 4 August 1914, and served at Antwerp and the Dardanelles. He was killed in action on Passchendaele Ridge; his mother of Watford was notified.
There is an article about and a Death announcement for Eustace in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 24 November 1917. Plus a Grammar School In Memoriam in the issue dated 22 December 1917, and In Memoriams in the issues dated 9 November 1918 and 8 November 1919.
Son of William John and Florence Louisa (nee WOODBRIDGE) HARRIS of Watford.
His parents married 1889 in the St Pancras, London, district. Florence died 1931 in Watford aged 65, and was buried 2 January 1932 in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; William died 9 January 1932 in Watford aged 69, and was buried 13 January, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Eustace was born 14 October 1895 in Kempston, Beds, and baptised 24 November 1895 at St Stephen’s, Kempston. He attended first Sotheron Road Infants’ School, Watford; then Beechen Grove Board School, Watford, from 3 February 1902 to 31 July 1907, where he won a Fuller Scholarship to Watford Grammar School from 6 September 1907 to July 1911.
On the 1901 Census, aged 5 he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, a schoolboy aged 15, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings.
UnitDrake Battalion, Royal Navy DIvision
Date of death04/11/1917
Age at death22
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)