Child/Childs, C A
CHARLES ARTHUR CHILD
Remembered with honour Bellicourt British Cemetery: Plot VII, Row B, Grave 7.
He enlisted in Westminster; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 12 August 1915, and was killed in action. Unfortunately, Charles’ Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Francis Henry and Alice (nee HARRISON) CHILD; husband of Florence HARRIS (formerly CHILD, nee PARROTT) of Watford.
His parents married 23 November 1889 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey, Herts. Alice died 1907 in Watford aged 38, and was buried 4 December in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Francis died 1928 in Watford aged 62, and was buried 14 November, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Charles was born 26 July 1892 in Bushey, Herts, and baptised 2 August 1892 at St Matthew’s, Oxhey. He married 12 January 1918 at St Martin’s, Kensal Green, London. Florence remarried 23 May 1920 at St John the Evangelist, Kensal Green, to Edward HARRIS, and died 1949 in the Watford district aged 54.
On the 1901 Census, aged 8 he lived in Oxhey, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1911 Census, a bricklayer’s labourer aged 18, he still lived in Oxhey, with his widowed father and four siblings.
Date of death08/10/1918
Age at death26
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)