Michel/Mitchel, G F
GEORGE FRANCIS MICHEL
Remembered with honour Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial: Panel 51 and 53.
He enlisted in London; was entitled to the Victory, British War and 1914-15 Star medals, his qualifying date being 19 May 1915, and was presumed died of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, George’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a caption to a photograph of George in the Watford Illustrated dated 4 December 1915.
Son of Augustus/August Eugene and Mary Ann (nee DAVIES) MICHEL.
His parents married 25 December 1881 at St Anne’s, Soho, London. Augustus died 5 April 1927 in Peckham, Surrey aged 68.
George was born 27 April 1888 in Soho, and baptised 2 December 1888 at St Anne’s, Soho Square. He resided in Peckham.
On the 1891 Census, aged 3 he lived in Soho, with his parents and two siblings. On the 1901 Census, aged 12 he lived in Camberwell, London, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, a painter (artist) aged 22 he was a boarder in Watford.
Date of deathon or since 25/09/1915
Age at death27
Place of death
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)