Lee/Lea, J G
JOHN GEORGE LEE
Remembered with honour Etaples Military Cemetery: Plot XXXIII, Row C, Grave 25.
He enlisted in Finsbury, London; was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, John’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
Son of Susan Caroline (nee SALTER) and the late Frederick LEE.
His parents married 25 May 1890 at St Philip’s, Dalston, London. Frederick died 1917 in the West Ham, Essex, district aged 59; Susan died 1943 in the Essex South-West district aged 77.
John was born 26 July 1896 in Hackney, London, and baptised 23 August 1896 at St Michael’s, Hackney. He resided in Wellington, Co Durham.
On the 1901 Census, aged 4 he lived in Hackney, with his parents and four siblings. On the 1911 Census, a butcher’s boy aged 14, he lived in Waltham Forest, Essex, with his parents and five siblings.
Unit1st (City of London) Battalion (Royal Fusiliers)
Date of death02/04/1918
Age at death21
Place of death
NotesJohn is possibly the J G E LEE commemorated at Christ Church
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)