Leach, E G
ERNEST GEORGE LEACH
Remembered with honour Outtersteene Communal Cemetery Extension: Plot I, Row D, Grave 52.
He enlisted in Hertford, and was formerly Private 3763 Hertfordshire Regiment. He was entitled to the Victory and British War medals, and died of wounds received in action. Unfortunately, Ernest’s Service Record appears to be one that did not survive the World War Two bombing.
There is a Death announcement for Ernest in the West Herts and Watford Observer dated 20 October 1917; plus an In Memoriam in the issue dated 5 October 1918.
Son of William and Elizabeth Jane/Jane Elizabeth (nee STEVENS) LEACH of Watford.
His parents married November 1890 at All Saints, Leighton Buzzard, Beds. William died 1929 in Watford aged 65, and was buried 15 July in Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford; Jane died 1951 in Watford aged 82, and was buried 5 March, also in Vicarage Road Cemetery.
Ernest was born 30 June 1897 in Watford, and baptised 3 September 1897 at Christ Church, Watford. He attended first Callow Land Infants’ School, Watford; then Callowland Board School from 11 January 1904 to 16 June 1911. He resided in Watford.
On the 1901 Census, aged 3 he lived in Watford, with his parents and three siblings. On the 1911 Census, at school and a milk boy aged 13, he still lived in Watford, with his parents and five siblings.
Date of death06/10/1917
Age at death20
Place of death
NotesErnest is possibly the E C LEACH commemorated at Christ Church
- 1st S.W. Herts Scout Troop [in St Mary's Parish Church Watford] (4)
- Abbot's Langley Herts War Memorial (17)
- Aldbury Herts War Memorial (1)
- Aldenham Herts War Memorial (located in Letchmore Heath Herts) (8)
- All Saints Church Croxley Green Herts (12)
- All Saints Church Harrow Weald Middx (2)
- All Saints Church Hertford (1)
- All Saints Church King's Langley Herts (1)
- All Saints Church Leavesden Herts (31)
- All Saints Church Witham Essex (3)